Jazz saxophonist and composer Darryl Yokley pays homage to Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky on his project, ‘Pictures at an African Exhibition’. Mussorgsky’s inspiration for “Pictures at an Exhibition” came from artist Viktor Hartmann. For this project, Yokley collaborated with artist David Emmanuel Noel for this similarly titled work. Almost five years since studio recording and three years since the album’s release, Darryl Yokley speaks to his Sound Reformation colleagues Zaccai Curtis, Luques Curtis, Wayne Smith Jr, and guest David Emmanuel Noel regarding the project. The album also features Nasheet Waits and a wind ensemble.
- Melange in ShepherdExpress.com May 15, 2022
- New Afro-Cuban Creative Music, Percolating in New York: Josean Jacobo and Kali Rodriguez-Pena April 11, 2022
- Asynchronization Party is here!!!! March 25, 2022
- Alex Apolo Ayala on LatinJazzNet.com March 20, 2022
- Alex “Apolo” Ayala pays tribute to his ancestors with debut as a bandleader Bámbula due out February 11, 2022 via Truth Revolution Records February 11, 2022